From Tree to Table
Today I am sharing my favorite apples for making homemade pie and apple-inspired party favor ideas and printable tags. With the autumn season upon us, you cannot help but think of all the pies about to be devoured.
In Southern California, apple season beginnings in mid-September, and as a kid we would go to Oak Glen every year. We would visit one of the many apple orchards, get fresh pressed cider and hand-pick the apples for our pie.
Then one summer, during a family camping trip, I was introduced to Julian, California, and Mom’s Pie House. Mom’s Pie House is known for apple-berry pies. My favorite was the apple blackberry pie with crumble topping. YUM!
If you are looking for a fun autumn day trip activity to do with a date or with your family? Find an apple orchard and go apple picking. For the best apple picking in Southern California, visit Oak Glen or Julian.
- Braeburn – sweet-tart
- Granny Smith – tart
- Honeycrisp – sweet
- Jonagold – sweet-tart
- McIntosh – tart
- Pink Lady – sweet-tart
- Granny Smith – tart
- Gala – sweet
Hand-Picked Apple Recipes
Did you know that there are over 2500 apple varieties just in the United States? These are my picks for apple pie. (https://www.allrecipes.com/article/apples/)
I like 2 types of apples for my filling – a tart and a sweet. This gives your pie a more balanced flavor. Not too sweet, not too tart. If your apples are really crisp/firm you want to slice them medium to thin. Apples that are light and airy need to be sliced thick because these tend to break down faster than the crisp firm ones.
Start with your favorite pie crust recipe or store-bought. Follow the directions to pre-bake the crust before adding your filling.
Apple Pie Filling
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 4-5 Tart apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 4-5 Sweet apples, peeled and sliced thick
Add your sliced apples to a salt-water bath to keep them from browning while you mix the brown sugar, flour, and spices. Drain and rinse your apple slices and place them in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle your flour-sugar mixture over the apples and toss them well. Set aside.
For the top crust, take the second crust and use fall-inspired cookie cutters to loosely cover the top. Make an egg wash and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
Apple Pie Crumble Topping
- 3/4 All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 c. Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 c. Pecans, diced
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 c. Butter softened
- Mix flour, brown sugar, and butter until crumbly. Add topping working from the outside inward.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spoon apple mixture over piecrust, and top with crumble topping.
- Place a baking sheet on the bottom/lower oven rack to catch any spillover. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes if necessary to prevent over-browning.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
“I pick you. What’s more, I’ll pick you again and again and over. Immediately, undoubtedly, instant. I’ll continue picking you.”Unknown
Apple-Inspired Party Favor Ideas
- Hand Pies by browneyedbaker.com
- Apple Pie Pops by nearlynewlywed.com
- Mulling Spices for Apple Cider by ampersandink
- Hand Dipped Candy Apples by HGTV.com
- Apple Slices by domesticallyblissful.com
Printable Apple Favor Tags
Follow the link to download your printable.
Planning your Autumn/Fall Apple Orchard Wedding or Event? Find more inspiration here.